- fruit, (especially apples, berries and anything in season)
- Crazins, (my favourite salad topping)
- boneless, skinless chicken breast, (great to pre-cook and chop onto salads)
- small cans of tuna (plain or lemon pepper to avoid mayo)
- eggs, (for making hard-boiled eggs)
- soup, (in the past I’ve bought a lot of soup but I’m going to try to make more soup this year to avoid the high sodium and preservative contents of the canned or boxed stuff)
- celery and peanut butter
- small cans of V8 low-sodium tomato juice
- Greek yogurt, (I take it in small containers with a little honey on it, great for when I’m craving sweets)
- unsalted, roasted almonds
- spicy, roasted chick peas
- organic dark chocolate
- sesame snacks
I also carry my water bottle and a tea thermos from David’s Tea. This is the best thermos because it keeps my tea hot all day for those mornings when I don’t have even a moment to sit and sip.
My lunch habits have changed as I eat by design more and more. I used to eat granola bars…a lot…like one a day. But it’s so difficult to find them without massive amounts of sugar and corn syrup. I tried to look up recipes to make my own but most of them also contained corn syrup in large quantities. If anyone knows a decent recipe, post a link below. I still miss granola bars now and again.
Feel free to post your school lunch ideas below. That way we can get new ideas and avoid lunchbox letdown!